Switching oil & gas accounting software is hard. One of the reasons it’s hard is because of how it takes to transfer and train your office on a new system. It doesn’t have to be this way!
Here are 5 tips for helping to speed up the switch:
- Come up with an execution plan of what needs to be done when. It’s much easier to switch from your current oil & gas accounting software to a new system if you know the steps that need to be done. Having a deadline for each of the steps also helps move the project along more quickly. Part of this plan should also spell out who is responsible for each action item.
- Plan the switchover during an accounting down-time. You need your accounting system every day but there are times during the month that you can’t do with out it. Those times are when you need to process a revenue distribution or joint interest billing. Plan to execute the software switch at the slowest accounting time between processing cycles. This will make the switchover less stressful and help to make it run more smoothly.
- Determine the best cut off time for your current data to be converted to the new accounting system. The best time to do a conversion is when you don’t have many open items hanging around. This is most usually right after a distribution processing cycle before you’ve started entering data for the next cycle.
- Schedule training with your SherWare support team to help get your team the information they need when they need it. You need to learn the new oil & gas accounting system and you need to learn it quick. We’ve developed a training program that works for you and is included with your software purchase. The training is broken into “bite-sized” chunks that gets you the information you need and helps you to digest it. You’re working with your data during the training which helps to make the procedures “real”.
- Be confident that you’re getting the right information out of the new accounting system. The best way to do this is to run a parallel revenue distribution or joint interest billing. Ideally you’ll have a small run that you can do in both systems that will allow you to compare the numbers. Once you see that you’re getting the right results you can move forward confidently.
We at SherWare have helped hundreds of companies move from their current oil & gas accounting software to SherWare successfully. We can help you do the same.
Source: SherWare Blog